Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Things to do with your placenta.


I'm late again. But, it's not Wednesday so I'm considering myself ahead for the week. I have company coming in this week and I decided to rip up my carpet spur of the moment. I'm awesome like that.

I planned to write about placenta this week! Fun.

I'm sure you've heard about the trend of embracing the placenta. I have to say, I was grossed out by the idea of placenta when I was younger. I just had no idea how cool it was! I probably acquired that sense during art school... feminist art or something. Women proud of their menses and such.

Anyway, here are a few fun things you can consider to do with your placenta!

Encapsulation:

I encapsulated my placenta. There is a study going on in Las Vegas right now involving placenta consumption. I can't honestly say that encapsulating my placenta helped me but only because I don't know what it's like to not take placental pills after having a baby. Some women feel that it helps with postpartum depression and milk production. Like I said, I can't attest to it personally but some women swear by it. I say, it doesn't hurt to try it. It doesn't hurt.. but I will say those pills don't taste very good. :/

Smoothie:

Some people are brave.. far braver than I and they just blend up that bad boy in a smoothie and drink it up. I suppose this is a more potent and therefor better option? I don't know. It sounds not that delicious to me..... especially since I tasted the pills. I'm a wimp, I know. I envy the women that can do this.

Plant it:

This is old news I guess but I kind of like the idea. I'm considering the idea with my next because I have so many pills left over from my first. So, you can plant the placenta and grow a tree or something that will thrive off of the placenta. It's poetic. It's something to show the little sucker that lived in it too. :)

Placenta Prints:

This is something you can do along with the other options, you would just do it first. Get some really good art paper and just press the placenta onto it. The prints are gorgeous. This is kind of what I was talking about when I mentioned feminist art. I just love the idea. You can frame that bad boy and display it. Gross your friends out... or impress them.



Now you have all kinds of fun plans for your next little baby sack. I would love to hear if you have any other ideas!


Check out Cozzie Corinne for an inspiriting tattoo idea. She's blogging about infertility as well.

Give Polkadots and Bunkergear for a super cute Valentine's decoration idea!

6 comments:

  1. Loved this post. I think placenta encapsulation is a great idea. I debated it but decided to gamble and not do it this time. Thankfully I didn't have PP issues or milk issues. If there is a next time, I think I will take it home and freeze it. If I need it for hormone therapy, I can defrost and encapsulate. If I don't need it, I like the tree idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a study in Vegas right now. They are on the placebo phase right now. Seeming to come up with good results. I'm going to do cool things with mine next time.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I did/could not do anything with my placenta but I remember the doctor showing it to me! She was saying we call it "the tree of life". It was fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My midwife thinks we should give ourselves more credit for not only growing life, but an entire extra organ. :) They are beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting. I plan on sharing this with friend who look at me like my head is spinning when I mention using your placenta for different purposes. I had this convo tonight with someone. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange how our own body can scare us isn't it?

      Delete