Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Home Birth Vs. Hospital Birth



Don't take me as a crazy hippie freak with peace and flowers... because I'm not. I think that is a pretty common misconception about people that are interested in home birth.

I did want a home birth. I wanted a huge celebration of the live that I was bringing into the world. I wanted the comfort of my own bed... my own home. I wanted my husband to be able to cuddle with me in bed or in a tub. I wanted my sister and nieces to be able to be there with me. I wanted my little boy's daddy to catch him!

THAT is what you get in an ideal home birth. Not everything is peaches though. It doesn't always happen that way. Sometimes there are complications. Sometimes things don't turn out the way that we want them to.

The reason that I chose to have a home birth is because I was devastated at the birth of my nieces and nephews by the way that they treated the baby and mom during labor and after birth. The nurses were quite rough with my niece. I remember they tugged and pulled on her limbs. They put goopy stuff in her eyes. She was screaming, naked and cold on a table. My 14 year old mind was blown.

When I first got pregnant, there was no way that I wanted a home birth. Are you kidding me? It took me 10 years to finally be able to even grow a baby. There was no way that I was going to risk my baby's life. I was going to be in a hospital where they could quickly save us. Then I remembered my sister-in-law's births.. and my 29 year old mind was blown all over again.

I chose midwives that I trust and decided that we were close enough to a hospital in the very rare case we might need one. Things didn't work out the way I wanted. I did end up in the hospital. I got the complete opposite idea of what I wished for.

The bottom line is, you have to be where you are comfortable where you are. If being in the hospital is going to make you feel safe... go that route. If you are going to be more comfortable and less stressed out at home, do that. Don't let anybody make that decision for you. Don't let anybody judge you for your decisions. Gather all the information and make the best decision for you and your baby.

I would love to hear about your birth experiences or wishes! Please feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment